We (Storage Admins) are in transition from logical entities to virtual entities. Every new storage product wants to have a name with prefix of “V”; to attract customer base to virtual world…
Traditional storage would be thing of the past very soon… Some of the storage vendors have declared EoL and EoSL for their traditional storage arrays longback. Since customers are looking for ease of manageability, software defined data centers and automation at all levels to cut down cost in managing operations, vendor support and etc…
Traditional storage could not survive the competition because of its predecessor’s features like
1. Virtual Provisioning, automated tiering and Flash storage
2. Federated storage
3. Mammoth storage capacity in a single array
4. Ease of administration and reduction in storage admins headcount !!
5. Advanced storage replication technologies
6. Scale up and scale out storage features
7. Lesser carbon footprint (thanks to 2.5″ disks)
8. High performance, redundancy and availability
9. Converged or tightly coupled with Network and Compute
10. Unified storage cater customer needs of Block, File and Content from single array
Irrespective of storage vendors, their development of new products have these buzz words like cloud compatible storage, virtualization and software defined storage etc.
1. Converged: Compute, Network and Storage are combined together as a unified product and supported by a single vendor. This helps customer to reach out to single vendor for above three technologies instead of multiple vendors. Converged infrastructure aids in easier management using a single management console for provisioning, monitoring and troubleshooting. Another great advantage is that we can still liaise on dedicated management suites to manage compute, network and storage separately.
People who would manage these converged infrastructure would be called as CONVERGED ADMINS!!! Customers or service providers also have greater advantage of reducing workforce by ratio of 3:1 per product.
2. Hyper-Converged: A of set Compute nodes having virtual storage appliance manage JBODs in a high-end clustered network creating a high performance and redundant file system storage. This file system is presented to virtual machines either using iSCSI or NFS. By using hyper-converged infrastructure, customers can avoid setting up costly SAN network its management overheads.
Based on customer needs they can scale up and scale out without or minimal impact to production. Vendors provide ready to use hyper-converged box where customers don’t have to wait for implementation and deployment phase. Using cutting edge migration software tools, data migration takes less time and downtime too!
It is high time for us to shift gears up to learn and equip any hyper-visor knowledge along with getting acquainted to converged or hyper-converged solutions! Certifications are key to recognize individual’s caliber so our next short term goal is to do a certification on any of the above mentioned technologies ASAP!!
If you enjoyed this post, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to a fellow storage admin, or sharing it on Twitter or Facebook. Thank you!
Also, if you have any other new product strategies similar to converged and hyper-converged solutions then let us know in the comments.
I’ll try to envision the converged and hyper-converged infrastructure solutions in my upcoming blog. Till then stay tuned for the next blog!!!