Browser’s cache: bane or boon

I recently went to a browsing center to take some prints where the docs were in my gmail account. I opened one of the best and latest version of a web browser to login to gmail. When I opened the page and typed first character of my account; there was already an user ID of the previous user starting with the same letter of my ID.

Problem was that he mistakenly typed user name and password on the user field [Power of tab key in security!!]. I literally hacked his account with the above MAGIC 🙂

Like a wise man 😛 I cleared the browser cache CTRL+SHIFT+DEL [and selected the option ” From the beginning…”]. I did report this to internet cafe guy and suggested him to use freely available tools like “icafe manager” etc.. to cleanup stuff as soon as user log out.

To my blog readers: Please be very careful with your credentials. Information is costlier than Gold and identity theft is a serious issue these days…

OpenLDAP+SAMBA

openldap + samba directory authentication

I was asked checkout the best alternative to our Window$ AD directory services. I explained that we could do it with openldap + samba but I never did it before giving the free advice!

So, I started to explore this killer combination to beat the best + most widely used authentication + directory services. I knew that this would continue to contribute to my dark circles under the eyes but no go!!

As usual, I went to the modern queen of knowledge ie., Google to try my luck. After tremendous exploration, in-depth research, trial and errors I took week+ time to have a working configuration of openldap+samba DC!!

I followed a cool blog site step by step, of-course with some errors which lead to refer other sites as well.

Main Blog: [Sharing with thanks a million to author]
http://siddou.hd.free.fr/2013/06/install-sambaopenldap-on-debian-7-wheezy/

Optional: [Handy sites if you are in trouble]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13921030/phpldapadmin-does-not-work-for-an-unknown-reason

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20673186/getting-error-for-setting-password-feild-when-creating-generic-user-account-phpl

I had challenges in adding Windows 7 workstations as domain members. After multiple attempts and meddling with registry settings, I was able to add it to the domain. I did not face any issues while adding Windows XP [Still love it as its the only Window$ OS with less craps].

To add Windows 7 as a member, please follow below steps.

Open regedit.exe add the following registry settings:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
“DNSNameResolutionRequired”=dword:00000000
“DomainCompatibilityMode”=dword:00000001

Check the following settings:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Netlogon\Parameters”RequireSignOrSeal”=dword:00000001
“RequireStrongKey”=dword:00000001

Restart 🙂 Window$ and now it can be added to the domain without issues.